Friday 13 December 2013

Identity - Steven Meisel Inspired




 


I came across Meisel by accident but his images were so striking that he immediately caught my eye. I found myself thinking there was some relevance in the fact that his models seem to blend into the background, they're barely recognizable. This seemed to fit in with the questions I had been asking myself up to this point - does the identity of the model really matter or is it the clothes?

I decided to produce some Meisel inspired work and began collecting colours and patterns that were typically "girly" and smothering the models in them until just their limbs were visible. I wanted to comment on the stereotype of what girls should wear and be interested in and how this is what makes our identity.
I think I will continue to create work that incorporate stereotypical colours and patterns for women.

No comments:

Post a Comment