Friday 6 February 2015

Self Directed - The Vanishing (1988)

Today I watched a film by recommendation of my tutor called The Vanishing (1988). After talking about what I wanted to get out of my work and how the interaction between the viewer and my work is actually part of my art, and how I want to make the unexpected happen, James recommended a few things to me. 
First of all we discussed how Hollywood and modern culture to an extent only gives us what we want to see, yet there are many fantastic films that shake us due to the fact that they are unexpected and restrain from giving us what we want to see. I thought that the idea of restraint was very interesting and it is expressed perfectly within this film. 


I like how important you are made to feel the significance of the golden eggs are in the beginning yet there is no further explanation or exploration of the idea. The building of suspense is fantastic yet nothing shocking ever happens; when it does happen, there is no focus on the gore or the event (as would be expected in Hollywood thrillers) simply the effects of the event and the characterisation. 
It is the restraint that I want to take from this film and put into my own project - not to bend to ideals, to ask questions and to play with the atmosphere that I can create - the interaction with the viewer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment